Saturday, August 11, 2007

Butterfly

While I was in the backyard cleaning up all the stuff from the remodel, I came across a caterpillar that was attached to the tar paper and getting ready to turn into a chrysalis. I cut the piece of tar paper off and brought it inside so we could watch it. I was hoping to actually see it come out. I didn't get to. Andrew noticed it first. He was like, "What the hell is THAT?" It had fallen to the ground and was inside a toy so it just looked like a BIG bug moving around. He forgot that I had the chrysalis hanging up on the wall. So I picked it up carefully and all the kids were in awe. It was really pretty. We all went outside to let it go and she flew away into the trees. I have always thought butterflies were neat and it's cool to show the kids the whole cycle of it.

So later I looked online to see if I could find out what kind it was and I did manage to find it. It was a Spicebush Swallowtail. I attached a link to another site with lots of pictures. Hopefully it works as this is the first link I've tried to attach.

1 comment:

Melodie said...

I love butterflies. Sarah and Emily both got to view the life cycles of the butterflies in their classrooms a few years ago. It's so neat to see the butterfly emerge from the chrysalis, wait for its wings to dry, and then fly off. It's almost magical.