Friday, June 27, 2008

bad mom in 3 seconds

My sister called me today to tell me some not great news about her unborn baby girl. She has been put on modified bedrest until further notice. The baby is not growing as expected so they want her to take it easy so the energy does not get restricted from the baby. But at the end of the conversation she had the ability to make me feel like a bad mom in about 3 seconds.

How? you ask....

Well I shop at the Wal-mart because we, like so many others, are on a tight budget. I am not able to afford the organic everything and she made some comment about her kid was going to eat organic (and vegetarian) and her husband makes enough for her to do that. Ugh!! If I could afford to buy organic, I would. It makes me feel crappy that I can't do everything I want for my kids.

A few months ago she also made a comment about her kid not watching TV, well, mine watch TV, and probably too much TV sometimes but darn it, I'm sick and don't feel like doing arts and crafts today (or yesterday for that matter).

All right, I'm done whining for today. I'm gonna get the kids out from in front of the TV now and take them swimming while it's not raining.

6 comments:

Karen said...

I'm right there with you Stacy. We buy a few things organic but not everything. We just can't afford it either. They highly recommend that we eat organic grass fed poultry and meat on the special diet we're on but it gets expensive real quick so I try to only buy organic when I know the other stuff is really, really, bad.

jennifer said...

You're kids will be fine Stacy. Everything in moderation is fine. Organic is not the end all of life. And if they are not okay then they can hang out with my TV watching, junk food kiddies.

Kandee said...

I'm with you Stacy. The "new" organic now is buying local veggies and fruits. I'm bad about using the TV as a babysitter everyday. I'm an artsy fartsy person, but it's too crazy around here sometimes to even bring out coloring books. You're not a bad mom...you're normal.

Melodie said...

Stacy, You KNOW you're not a bad mom! Your kids are healthy, sweet, beautiful, and smart. Sounds like so far so good. And you're a much better mother to Luke than his own mother is. Not every woman can raise another woman's child as her own.

Melodie said...

Oh, and I'm sure that Katie watches more TV than your kids do! The first thing she asks for in the morning is to have the TV turned on. One of her most common phrases is, "Where 'mote go?" When she finds it, she brings it to us and demands that we use it to turn the TV on for her. And don't get me started on how many commercials she sings along with!

Holly said...

No organic at our house either, and lots of TV watching! You're in GOOD company! :)

Also didn't we all say before we had kids "they'll never do XYZ", and look at them now. LOL So take what your sister says with a grain of salt. Once she gets a taste of motherhood I'm sure things will be different.

I hope her little girl starts growing soon! Keep us updated!